Step by Step Eikaiwa Presents
The Sanuki Udon Slurp Challenge
(Slurp Speed Challenge & Slurp Style Challenge)
Do you love Sanuki udon?
Do you love money?
Then The Sanuki Udon Slurp Challenge is for you!
16 lucky winners will win prizes including authentic Sanuki udon, an English Sanuki udon guide poster, or up to 10,000 yen in cash!
Step by Step Eikaiwa is not only the best English conversation school in Kagawa, but we also love having fun and promoting Kagawa Prefecture and Kagawa’s culture including Sanuki udon to people around the world. This time, we need your help to share Sanuki udon online with people around the world. Sanuki udon is not only cheap and delicious, but it’s well-known for being Kagawa’s original fast food. People usually eat udon within minutes, but the real question is:
How fast can YOU eat a bowl of Sanuki udon (250 g)?
In addition, slurping noodles is a tradition in Japan, so another important question is:
Can you slurp Sanuki udon with style?
To find out the answers to these important questions and to show people around the world how wonderful Sanuki udon is, we decided to hold The Sanuki Udon Slurp Challenge. The contest has two categories: The Slurp Speed Challenge and The Slurp Style Challenge. For The Slurp Speed Challenge, the three fastest men and the three fastest women to slurp down all their noodles will win cash prizes! For The Slurp Style Challenge, the two best people who slurp Sanuki udon with style and show how delicious it is will win a photo book of Kagawa Prefecture, My Little Kagawa, a pack of authentic Sanuki udon, and an English Sanuki udon poster. Eight additional stylish slurpers will win a pack of authentic Sanuki udon and an English Sanuki udon poster.
Eligibility and Timeline:
*Anyone in the world is eligible to participate in the contest. All contestants must be able to submit photo identification upon request to verify age and identity.
*Minors must have permission by a legal guardian (over 18 years old), and their submissions must be entered by the consenting legal guardian.
*All submissions received by March 31, 2019 23:59 (Japan time) will be considered for the contest.
*Winning entries will be announced on April 30, 2019 on this page, in the description of our YouTube video, and on the Step by Step Eikaiwa Facebook page.
*Only submissions submitted via the submission form at the bottom of this page are eligible to win prizes.
*This contest is void where prohibited.
Prizes will be awarded to 6 contestants in The Slurp Speed Challenge and 10 contestants in The Slurp Style Challenge as outlined below.
The rules are simple: slurp hard and slurp fast! The three fastest times for men and the three fastest times for women will win the following prizes.
Men’s Grand Prize
(fastest time): 10,000 yen + My Little Kagawa book + Sanuki udon poster
Women’s Grand Prize
(fastest time): 10,000 yen + My Little Kagawa book + Sanuki udon poster
Ten stylish slurpers will win the following prizes based on the introduction of their favorite kind of Sanuki udon, their slurping skills, and their ability to demonstrate the amazing taste and experience of Sanuki udon.
Best Style Prize (2 winners):
5,000 yen + My Little Kagawa book + Sanuki udon poster
Please read the following rules regarding the contest carefully. Failure to follow all rules will lead to disqualification of a submission.
1. The udon must be authentic Sanuki udon, ordered from a restaurant or udon shop serving Sanuki udon. The amount of noodles must be at least 250g (cooked and drained).
It’s not necessary to drink the soup/broth/dashi or eat any of the ingredients/toppings (green onions, etc.) other than the udon noodles. The name and location of the restaurant/udon shop is required for all submissions. If the shop is a general Japanese restaurant serving Sanuki udon, a picture or video of the menu showing “Sanuki udon” will be required.
2. Only one set of chopsticks may be used to eat the noodles. You may not touch or hold the bowl/serving dish with your hands.
Using hands or any other utensils will lead to disqualification. This contest is for individuals only, and assistance from another person or machine will disqualify the submission. The bowl/serving dish must remain on the table while eating the noodles.
3. An unedited video documenting the restaurant/udon shop, the weight of the noodles, and eating of the noodles is required for every applicant.
A clock or stopwatch with seconds must always be visible in the video to confirm that the video’s speed hasn’t been altered. The noodles must be placed on a digital scale which is tared to zero, showing that the the weight is 250g or more. After that, the noodles must always be visible to the camera until the end of the contest or else the submission will be disqualified.
4. (The Slurp Speed Challenge only) Timing starts from the instant the noodles touch the lips (enter the mouth) and stops when all of the noodles have been swallowed and the contestant opens his/her mouth to confirm that no noodles remain in the mouth.
Contestants must also verify that there are no noodles remaining in the bowl after opening their mouth.
5. All winners must contact Step by Step Eikaiwa at email@example.com within 30 days of announcing the winners.
If no contact is made or the identity of a winner cannot be verified, the contestant is disqualified and cannot receive a prize. In that case, the next runner up will be awarded the prize.
6. The Slurp Speed Challenge winners in Japan can only receive the prize money through a bank transfer or in-person at Step by Step Eikaiwa.
Winners outside of Japan can only receive the prize money through a valid PayPal account. In the event that money cannot be given as a valid prize, contestants will forfeit their prize or receive a gift card/voucher.
7. Winners of The Slurp Style Challenge must provide a valid mailing address to receive a prize, or pick up the prize in-person at Step by Step Eikaiwa in Kagawa Prefecture, Japan.
8. Any video that is suspected of having been edited, altered, and any video that doesn’t satisfy all requirements and rules will be disqualified.
9. Only one submission can be made per category per person. Anyone can submit a video to The Slurp Speed Challenge and The Slurp Style Challenge, but a single video cannot be submitted to both categories. Two different videos are required.
- No purchase necessary.
- Void where prohibited.
- All contestants agree to get permission from the udon shop/restaurant they select as a location to take The Sanuki Udon Slurp Challenge. You can download a letter in Japanese explaining that you would like permission to take The Sanuki Udon Slurp Challenge at a given location.
- Winners will be chosen and announced on this page, the Step by Step Eikaiwa Facebook page, and in the description of our YouTube video explaining how to apply.
- The Slurp Speed Challenge will be judged based on our video analysis and not based on the contestants measured time.
The Slurp Style Challenge will be judged by a team of judges from the staff at Step by Step Eikaiwa and other Sanuki udon experts. The judges will be announced before the end of the contest submission deadline.
- By making a video entry, the contestant agrees to release all rights for user-generated content to Step by Step, Inc. and its affiliates to use for marketing and promotion purposes. The contestant permits Step by Step, Inc. to use the contestant’s video and first name when announcing winners, promoting the contest, and for promotion-related materials on Step by Step Eikaiwa’s website, Facebook page, YouTube channel, or in any other digital or printed format.
- Step by Step, Inc. employees and their family members are welcome to participate in The Sanuki Udon Slurp Challenge, but they are prohibited from winning any cash or prizes.
- Step by Step, Inc. has the power to modify the contest rules or cancel the contest at any time.
- All contestants must agree not to hold Step by Step, Inc. liable for any pain, discomfort, injury, or misfortune encountered while participating in the contest. In order to make a video submission, all contestants must have read and agreed to the terms listed in this waiver of liability form.
How to apply:
Before going to your favorite Sanuki udon shop/restaurant to eat Sanuki udon, be sure to prepare the following materials:
The Slurp Speed Challenge:
- Printed contest sign with contestant’s first name and date
- a stopwatch or clock (with seconds)
- a digital scale
- plastic gloves
- a video camera
The Slurp Style Challenge:
How to Take the Video:
- Get permission from the udon shop/restaurant staff to use the location to take The Sanuki Udon Slurp Challenge. You can download this letter with a written explanation in Japanese to show the shop staff when asking permission.
- Start the video outside the shop/restaurant (inside is ok as long as the shop name is visible in the video)
(Slurp Speed Challenge)
- Order any kind of Sanuki udon which has at least 250 g of udon noodles. One serving (hito-tama) is generally between 250 – 300 g. Ask the staff to put the udon in a separate bowl without dashi (if the Sanuki udon ordered has dashi) in order to weigh and verify the amount of udon. You can download and print the following letter in Japanese if there is a language barrier with the staff at the udon shop/restaurant.
- Put an empty bowl or dish on the digital scale and reset the scale to zero. After that, put the cooked, drained udon on the scale to show that there is at least 250 g of noodles. Be sure not to stop the camera. Also, make sure the noodles are always in the video.
- Put the noodles in the dashi and prepare your chopsticks.
- Position the camera so that the contestant, the contents of the bowl/serving dish, and the clock/stopwatch (speed category) are visible.
- Hold up the sign with your name and date, say your name and “I am going to take the Step by Step Eikaiwa Sanuki Udon Slurp Speed Challenge.”
- Do The Sanuki Udon Slurp Challenge. Remember, for The Slurp Speed Challenge, you may not touch or hold the bowl.
- After you finish the challenge, please do not alter, edit, or change the video in any way. Upload the video to your favorite sharing site such as YouTube, Facebook, etc. Be sure to write your name, the name of the udon shop, and the following website address in the description. https://www.stepbystepeikaiwa.jp/sanuki-slurp-challenge. Of course we hope you will share it and tag your friends to take the challenge as well, but it is not a requirement.
- Complete the submission form below.
(Slurp Style Challenge)
- Order your favorite kind of Sanuki udon
- Position the camera so that the contestant and the contents of the bowl/serving dish are visible.
- Hold up the sign with your name and date, say your name and “I am going to take the Step by Step Eikaiwa Sanuki Udon Slurp Style Challenge.”
- Describe your favorite kind of Sanuki udon and explain why you think it’s the best. (In English or Japanese)
- Do The Sanuki Udon Slurp Challenge. Make sure to slurp with style and show how amazing Sanuki udon tastes with a great reaction.
- After you finish the challenge, please upload the video to your favorite sharing site such as YouTube, Facebook, etc. Be sure to write your name, the name of the udon shop, and the following website address in the description. https://www.stepbystepeikaiwa.jp/sanuki-slurp-challenge. Of course we hope you will share it and tag your friends to take the challenge as well, but it is not a requirement.
- Complete the submission form below.